NTF Statement on Orlando Shooting and Resources for Supporting the LGBTQ+ Community
June 14, 2016
“The National Task Force to End Sexual and Domestic Violence joins the nation in mourning the victims of the mass shooting at the Pulse nightclub on Latinx night in Orlando, Florida. As organizations committed to ending violence and hatred, we condemn this heinous act and stand in solidarity with the LGBT and Latinx communities, as well as communities of color as a whole. This was a hate crime motivated by homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, and racism, made easier by access to weapons of mass murder. We stand firm in our call that these phobias and prejudices – and those to which they are connected, including islamophobia, xenophobia, and sexism – have no place in our society. We grieve for the loss of so many lives in Orlando. And we join with those working to increase safety, dignity, and equality for LGBT communities and for us all.” We encourage you and your agency to support your local LGBTQ+ community, now and as we continue to work to end violence. You can show your support by:
- Reminding your friends, family, and loved ones that you love and support them
- Standing up to anyone who makes derogatory comments about LGBTQ+ individuals, organizations, lifestyles, etc.
- Attending events that help support the LGBTQ+ community. Equality NC has a list of vigils being held across North Carolina to honor the victims in Orlando. If you can, please go and support your local LGBTQ+ community.
- Durham- Tues, June 14th at 8pm, the bar, 711 Rigsbee Ave (Facebook event)
- Greenville- Tues, June 14th at 8:30pm, Town Commons 105 E. 1st St.
- Wilmington- Tues, June 14th at 6:30pm, St. Jude MCC, 19 N. 26th St.
- Charlotte- Wed, June 15th at 8pm, Wedgewood Church, 4800 Wedgewood Dr
- Understanding and sharing resources to support clients or community members who are part of the LGBTQ+ community, such as: