Application Open! 2022-2023 Young Advocates Institute Advisory Council
October 13, 2022
The North Carolina Coalition Against Sexual Assault (NCCASA) is pleased to open the selection process for the the 2022-2023 Young Advocates Institute Advisory Council. The Council will be comprised of twelve (12) youth, ages 13-17, who are committed to working hard, promoting advocacy and leadership which will shape the direction, content and marketing efforts for the 2023 Young Advocates Institute.
In an effort to ensure that the council is accessible and representative of our state’s rich diversity, we encourage students from all across North Carolina to apply to the council as we will use video conference call services for meetings.
About the Young Advocates Institute
Launched in 2011, the Young Advocates Institute is a social justice summer learning initiative that empowers and trains 200 youth, ages 13-17, from across North Carolina during a week of prevention/intervention education, advocacy and leadership development seminars. The purpose of the Young Advocates Institute is to give youth a voice, the opportunity to share experiences regarding social justice issues and help them become an integral part of the solutions. To date, the Institute has trained over 2,000 youth and adult allies. In 2023 the Young Advocates Institute will celebrate its 12th year of service.
Duties of the Young Advocates Institute Advisory Council
Selected council members will serve for an one (1) year term are expected to:
- Attend/ participate in monthly meetings at NCCASA’s offices in Raleigh, NC or by video conferencing.
- Attend a planning retreat
- Help plan, implement and fund raise for the 2022 Young Advocates Institute
- Assist with the marketing and social media relations related to the Young Advocates Institute
- Research, design and/or help lead youth-specific trainings
The Advisory Council will have access to:
- Skill-based trainings such as public speaking, leadership development, group facilitation, education-specific topics (i.e., sexual assault, human trafficking, anti-racism and oppression, etc).
- Opportunities for engagement in the local, state and national anti-sexual assault and youth engagement movements, including networking
- Valuable real world experience toward college and employment opportunities
The application for the 2022-2023 Young Advocates Institute Advisory Council is now open. We encourage applicants who are enthusiastic, creative, willing to work with a team and possess a want to learn about varied social justice issues to apply. No previous experience is required.
To apply to be a member of the 2022-2023 Young Advocates Institute Advisory Council, complete the online application available at https://forms.gle/xM58Ydq5pXurY2tL7
by Friday, November 11, 2022
The selected council members will be announced on Friday, November 18, 2022.